What is non-surgical rhinoplasty?
Until recently, the only solution for anyone looking for a nose reshaping was a surgical rhinoplasty. A painful procedure which requires hospitalisation. While a surgical nose job remains the solution for major size and shape changes, most patients’ concerns can be addressed with a non-surgical nose job procedure.
Non-surgical rhinoplasty or 15 minutes’ nose job is a non-invasive alternative for nose surgery. It involves injecting dermal filler in precise areas of nose to reshape, rebalance or resize it in harmony with the surrounding area.
Consultation before the procedure is very important as this is where the practitioner examines the patient and tries to understand his/her expectation about the outcome of the procedure as well as discussing the risks and benefits of the procedure. The consultation may include taking pictures from various angles and using them in the discussion of the treatment to tailor a treatment plan to achieve a natural looking, attractive and harmonious nose on your face.
The next step is the non-surgical nose job procedure. The average duration of the session is 30 minutes and the patient is conscious throughout the procedure. The dermal filler is injected at various points. Most dermal fillers are premixed with local anaesthetic called lidocaine that makes the injections comfortable. Photographs maybe taken during the procedure from different angles that aid both the practitioner and the patient to achieve the ultimate ideal results.
In our clinics we only use Juvederm dermal filler which is a non-permanent dermal filler with a very safe profile; and the results last 12 to 18 months.
What could be addressed?
- Folds of the nose.
- A bump or ‘hook’ on the bridge of the nose.
- Asymmetrical nose.
- Crooked nose.
- A flat or a low bridge
What are the advantages?
- With dermal filler, it is possible to accomplish very specific improvements in nose reshaping that are simply not possible by surgical rhinoplasty.
- Results are visible immediately as compared to almost a year for surgical rhinoplasty.
- The changes that can be achieved by using dermal fillers are natural-looking
- The patient is conscious during the procedure and can interact with the practitioner.
- There is no risk of General Anaesthetic
- No downtime is required after the procedure and any minor bruising or redness could be covered by makeup. In any case, these conditions usually go away in three to four days.
- The patient is free to go without any stay in the clinic. If required, a follow up treatment may be arranged.
Post treatment care
- The procedure and fillers used will not change how you breathe. As the injections are placed in the skin, the nasal breathing passages should not be affected and should not worsen breathing
- No supportive tape or splint is required afterwards as the bone and cartilage has not been altered.
- As a needle is used, there is always a risk of bruising. Additionally, there will be mild swelling afterwards. The time taken for this to settle varies between individuals but should be less than 2 weeks and in most cases, resolves within a few days.
- It is advisable to avoid wearing glasses or sunglasses afterwards if possible for up to 2 weeks. The bridge or the nose pads on glasses may press on the filler and alter its position. Additionally, there is a risk of glasses being ‘knocked’ and affecting the procedure results.
- Contact sports, where there is a risk of your nose being knocked, should be avoided for up to 2 weeks.
- Massaging should be avoided.